Geberit are a globally renowned manufacturer of high quality sanitary and piping systems. At the end of every year they run a competition to find the “Best Domestic Bathroom Installer” and this year they chose Roots
Why us? Below is the complete case study of the project we entered into the competition, competing against showrooms across the UK and Ireland.
Design a new modern bathroom, quality is key and the room needs to be low maintenance.
The room will be used daily by 2 children and occasionally by guests.
Problems with the old layout:
The existing design has lots of visible pipe work which can be difficult to clean around, Carpet floor and just one small corner cupboard for storage.
The new room must include:
- Larger concealed storage plus more space to put things around the basin.
- Easier to clean, concealed pipes where possible, a floor that can be mopped easily.
- A shower and bath with hand shower attachments.
It was decided with the client that a new layout would be the best option for this room. The only part that needed to stay was the base of the built in corner cupboard as this concealed and Air Admittance Valve on a short stack. This gave us the idea of having the WC and basin along a dwarf wall below the window, it allowed the supply and waste water pipes to be neatly concealed. The support frame for the wall hung WC and basin gave us a generous shelf which we continued across the width of the room.
The bath was moved and the controls built into the wall. Water flows from the overflow to fill the bath or from a hand shower with concealed hose from the bath edge.
Large porcelain Villeroy & Boch tiles were used and matched with grey grout to keep maintenance to a minimum.
At the end of the bath, a false wall was built which gave room for a large heated towel rail and meant we could conceal pipe-work in the wall.
The false wall also allowed space for a bespoke unit to be fitted flush to the wall.
The shower was the only item to keep its original position.
THE WINNING ROOM
The resulting space was bright and spacious, easy to maintain, with plenty of storage and shelf space. The soft grey tones and clean lines complimented the client’s existing decor making the new bathroom a beautiful addition to their home.
And here are the finished photos of the room, and the final products that were chosen. Every decision was based on quality, features and benefits
IN THE PHOTOS
- Laufen Pro rimless WC with removable WC seat and LCC clean coating
- Laufen Pro basin with LCC clean coating City pro basin mixer.
- Kaldewei steel enamel bath, with easy clean coating and sound insulation pads
- Aqualisa thermostatic bath / shower valve with concealed hand attachment and smooth hose
- Geberit bath overflow, push open waste and bath filler.
- Roots custom Lacquered bath panel – solid and waterproof.
- Kudos infinite shower enclosure and stone resin tray. Aqualisa HIQU shower valve.
- Zehnder towel radiator, flat surface for higher temperature and summer heating element.
BEHIND THE SCENES
- Old floor taken up, 18mm ply subfloor screwed and glued.
- Geberit Duofix WC cistern and wall hung frame
- Geberit basin frame, trap and isolation valves.
- Aqua4ma waterproof tile backing panels for the shower
- Bespoke cabinet from Roots, fitted flush and 2 power sockets on different levels for toothbrushes.
- Smedbo chrome plated with solid brass core accessories, designed not to rust!
THE INSTALLER TEAM
Bathroom transformations involve a lot of hard work and many expert tradesmen. We made a timelapse video of this installation
It took over 15 days, Mostly from Brian our plumber but also expert workmanship from Matt and Jake the electricians, Tim the plasterer, Danny the tiler, Rick the Amtico fitter, Rob the decorator, Mick the carpenter, Alan the carpenter.
Mark Humphries from Geberit UK presenting the award for Best Bathroom installer to Roots on the 21st December 2015.
The awards are open to professionals in the UK and Ireland, with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place chosen from each category of:
- Best installer Team (Commercial)
- Best Domestic Bathroom installer
- Best supply systems installer
- Best apprentice
WHO ARE GEBERIT?
Geberit, a swiss company that make components for moving water into and out of your home. Using swiss precision and German engineering they are regarded as the leaders in sanitary systems, and although you may not have heard of them they supply fittings to leading brands including Laufen, Villeroy & Boch, Duravit and Keramag. Their products can be found in The Shard, Dubai’s Burj Kalifa and even in Antarctic research facilities.
Geberit design and engineer products while also running industry training and installation under the banner “Know-How Installed”.